During the last decade the increased concern on environment and the necessity to make fashion more sustainable produced changes also in our knitted fabrics production. Since three years we decided to introduce knitted fabric made by the natural bamboo fibers to do our time the transformation of the textile supply chain.
What about bamboo plant
Bamboo is an abundant plant which presents so many qualities:
- it is a fast growing plant, up 1 meter per day!
- It grow up dense in forests, reducing the occupied space.
- It doesn’t need the use of pesticides or herbicides;
- it does not requires irrigation, rain is enough!
- It absorbs 5 times more CO2 than normal trees and produces 35% more Oxygen
- it is flexible but strong.
Finally we can affirm that bamboo is an eco-friendly raw material.
The bamboo fiber production process
The production process of bamboo fibers starts from the demolishment of their cellulose structure and it is divided into two different methods: the mechanical andthe chemical one.
The mechanical process is 100% natural. The bamboo fiber plant is crushed into a pulp which is combed out and it finally becomes yarn. This type of bamboo fiber originates rigid fabrics, really similar to linen or hemp.
The chemical process, as the name suggests, uses N-Methylmorpholine N-oxide which is an organic compound and it is not toxic for humans. This process can also be considered environmental friendly because about the 99.5% of all material involved in the production process is re-used and recycled.
This is the process to realize the bamboo fibers that we used in our knitted fabrics.
Bamboo knitted fabrics characteristics
Bamboo knitted fabrics looks like viscose but they present unique good properties such as:
- SMOOTH AND SOFT-HAND. This is the first impression when someone touches bamboo knitted fabrics.
- TRANSPIRATION AND FLEXIBILITY. The morphological structure of bamboo fibers, characterized by porous and air-cushioned surface, improves the transpiration process. The bamboo knitted fabrics improve the wellness of wearing clothes made by this textile fiber either during working hours or in free time.
- ABSORPTION OF LIQUIDS. Some research demonstrated that humidity and sweat evaporate three-times faster from bamboo fibers than from cotton ones. This property permits the natural ability to prevent odors and skin redness for clothes realized with bamboo fibers. For this reason, bamboo knitted fabrics are perfect to realize high-quality lingerie.
- ANTIMICROBIAL. Bamboo knitted fabrics are perfect to realized mattress covers or blankets thanks to their natural antimicrobial properties. It has been demonstrated that 95% of acarus and bacteria die in 24h.
- WRINKLE RESISTANCE AND ANTI-PILLING. Bamboo knitted fabrics have high elasticity and resistance after a number of washes, too. They are also easy to iron.
- BRIGHTNESS. The natural structure of bamboo fibers which have many grooves, cracks and gaps on the surface increases transpiration but also colors absorption during the dyeing and washing processes.
- ADHERENCE. Bamboo knitted fabrics are stretchable, elastic and soft-hand and for this reasons they are perfect to realized adherent but always comfortable clothes.
Since three years, the bamboo knitted fabrics are must-have products in our autumn/winter and spring/summer collections, giving to them a significant value-added.
The bamboo knitted fabrics we produced have been used to create high quality underwear, comfortable bodies to practice yoga or pilates and soft-hand clothes and accessories for newborns, such as baby hats, blankets and small clothes. Find out here our collection.